1 Introduction

If you are an employee of the Central Academic Bodies and central activities of the University of London (the "central University") and you are prevented from reporting for work owing to ill-health (including injury or other disability) you must make every reasonable effort to notify your line manager (or their nominee) in person as soon as possible, within one hour of your agreed starting time.

As an employee of the central University, if you are absent from work owing to ill-health you are eligible to receive salary in accordance with the following:

2 Scale of Allowances

Length of Service

Level and Length Allowance*

Level and Length Allowance*

During the first 3 months' service

2 weeks full pay

2 weeks half pay

Three months to one year's service

2 months full pay

2 months half pay

Second and third year of service

3 months full pay

3 months half pay

Fourth and fifth year of service

5 months full pay

5 months half pay

After five years of service

6 months full pay

6 months half pay

*Nothing under this scheme will prevent the central University applying its discretion to extend the application of the sick pay in exceptional cases.

To top

3 Calculation of Allowances

Entitlement to occupational sick pay as detailed above will be governed by the length of service (as determined by the date you start your continuous employment with the central University) at the commencement of the period of absence. 

During absence on full pay, you will receive your normal pay.   Any payment received on your behalf under the SSP scheme will be deducted from the amount payable by the central University to ensure you receive your normal full pay. During absence on half pay, you will receive half your normal salary.  SSP will be paid in addition to half pay to those eligible for it provided that no combination of payments exceeds full pay. However, an individual will be able to receive the SSP equivalent from the first day of his/her employment with the central University subject to the individual fulfilling the SSP regulations.  For further details on SSP please contact the Payroll Manager.

Saturdays, all Bank and Public Holidays and central University Closure Days are counted as working days.

The allowances set out above are the maximum provision in any rolling 12 month period. The rate of pay you receive is calculated by adding together the total number of work days of sickness absence (on full or half pay) you have taken during the 12 months immediately preceding the first date of your current absence, and deducting this from your full/half pay allowance. In aggregating the periods of absence, no account shall be taken of any unpaid absence on sick leave.

To top

4 Notification of Absence Due to Ill-Health

In order to qualify to receive SSP and/or the central University’s occupational sick pay, you must report your ill-health absence as follows:

  • On the first day of absence, you must make every resonable effort to contact your line manager (or their nominee) in person as soon as possible and normaly within one hour of your agreed start time, of your need to be absent.  If you are unable to establish contact with the nominated person, you may instead contact a member of Human Resources. You may not report absence by SMS, text and/or email messages.  

  • Where possible you should state your expected date of return to work.  If your absence continues, you must keep your line manager or nominated person informed on a regular basis of your progress and your expected period away from work.

  • Health data is sensitive and you are not obliged to give specific details of your ill-health to your line manager or nominated person unless necessary for health and safety purposes.  However, we do strongly encourage that you do share this information with them if you’re willing to do so.  You must provide this information on your self/ medical certification or otherwise on request to Human Resources. 

  • Send  self / medical certification of your absence direct to the Human Resources.  You can do this on MyView. You must submit certification recording all days in the period of sickness (including days when you would not normally attend work) and detail the reason for your absence. If you have problems accessing MyView please contact MyView@london.ac.uk.

  • A self certification is required for all periods up to and including seven calendar days and/or a medical certificate in respect of absences of a longer duration.

  • Certification should be submitted as soon as practicable and within 48 hours of your return to work in the case of absences of seven calendar days or less. 

  • In the case of longer absences, you are expected to obtain a medical certificate from a doctor no later than the 8th calendar day and forward it to reach Human Resources no later than the 10th calendar day (or within 48 hours of your return to work, whichever is the earlier).  The medical certificate is required for SSP purpose.

  • The central University may request that you produce a medical certificate for absences of less than seven calendar days.  If this is requested, the central University will normally reimburse any charge made by your doctor for producing the certificate promptly.  You should obtain a receipt for this service from your doctor and claim back the cost via the central University’s expense reimbursement process.

Examples of instances where you might be asked to produce a medical certificate, regardless of the length of the sickness absence, include (but are not limited to):

  • Following a serious illness or accident;
  • Following an accident at work;
  • Following a request from your line manager to Human Resources.

To top

5 Keeping in Contact During Absence Due to Sickness

Throughout any period of absence due to sickness, you must keep in regular contact with your line manager or Human Resources about your absence and ensure that you are easily contactable.  We may contact you to enquire about your progress and to arrange a confidential health assessment/consultation with an occupational health professional.  You should note that if you are not contactable during sickness absence, the central University reserves the right to cease sick pay (except SSP) until such times as your lack of contact is explained satisfactorily.

To top

6 Returning to Work After Sickness

If you are medically certified by a doctor during this period, you may not return to work before your medical certificate expires unless you obtain additional certification indicating your fitness for work. 

For medically certified absence of more than three weeks you may not normally return to work at the expiry of the certificate without presenting appropriate medical evidence of your fitness to work.

You may be required to attend a “return to work” meeting.  This meeting may be facilitated by (or a combinaion of) your line manager, Human Resources or a central University nominated occupational health professional. The purpose of such a meeting will be to:

  • Check that it is the appropriate time to return to work and that you are ready for work;
  • Check that your work is not likely to be interrupted by a recurrence or relapse;
  • Ensure that your condition will not be made worse by work;
  • Establish whether any adjustments need to be made to your working environment to assist in your full recovery;
  • Ensure all contributing factors to your absence are being addressed; and
  • Discuss any concerns that you, your line manager or Human Resources may have.

To top

7 Ill-Health During Bank/Public Holidays and University Closure Days

Sick pay will continue if a bank and public Holiday or central University Closure Day occurs during paid sick leave.

Where an employee has exhausted the period of entitlement to sick pay, no payment will be made in respect of a bank and public holiday or central University Closure Day occurring during the period of unpaid sick leave.

To top

8 Ill-Health During Annual Leave

Employees falling ill during the course of annual leave are regarded as being on sick leave from the date specified on a medical certificate; a self-certificate is not acceptable in such cases even for absences of less than seven days. 

You are entitled to take the balance of the holiday at a later date after returning to work, provided that it is taken before the end of the leave year, or as may be agreed with your head of division/department.

To top

9 Absence Related to an Injury Sustained in the Course of Employment

Where you are unable to attend work as a result of an injury sustained in the course of employment which is not your fault, such absence shall not qualify as sick leave and you should not report such absence as sick leave. Your line manager should ensure that Human Resources are aware of such cases.

You will normally receive your normal pay during any absence related to an injury sustained in the course of employment.

To top

10 Absence Related to a Sustained Personal Injury Outside the Course of Employment

If you are absent as a result of a personal injury sustained outside the course of employment from an incident which gives rise to a claim against a third party, the sums paid to you under the central University’s occupational sick pay scheme will be paid to you as a loan. Once you recover any such monies from the third party, you will be required to pay back this loan or (with regard to the amount of damages you recover) an agreed amount determined after consultation with you and Human Resources.

You will be required to notify Human Resources that your period of absence has been due to an incident that may give rise to a claim against a third party. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action being taken against you, which could lead to your dismissal.

To top

11 Contact with Infectious or Contagious Disease

In case of contact with infectious or contagious diseases, you must not stay away from duty if otherwise fit for work unless medically advised not to attend work. You must, however, notify Human Resources or your line manager. Your line manager is required to inform Human Resources if notified by you of contact with infectious or contagious disease.

You may, if you wish, notify Human Resources and request that the details be kept confidential, but if the circumstances require it (e.g. for health and safety reasons) it may nevertheless be necessary for Human Resources to supply that information to your Division. This would normally be discussed with you in advance.

To top

12 Contact with Notifiable Infectious Disease

If you are advised by your medical practitioner not to attend your place of work because of contact with a notifiable infectious disease, you must immediately inform Human Resources or your line manager and may not return to work without producing evidence that it is safe and appropriate for you to do so. Such absences do not count as sick leave and you should not report such absence as sick leave.

You will normally receive your normal pay during any absence related to notifiable infectious disease.

To top

13 University Requested Health Assessment

If you are asked to attend a health assessment/consultation with an occupational health professional, a written referral will be provided to brief the occupational health professional about the circumstances leading to the request/referral.  The referral may contain specific questions related to your ability to attend work and carry out the duties required of you. 

If you are asked to attend such an assessment, every reasonable effort will be made to ensure that it is at a time that is convenient and appropriate for you.  Your co-operation and reasonable flexibility is expected and required.

Following such an assessment by an occupational health professional, a report will be prepared and sent to Human Resources. You will be sent a copy if you request it.

The occupational health professional may require more detailed medical information to enable them to fully address the questions raised in the written referral.  They may seek your permission to write to your GP or other medical professional.  Should this be the case, you will be fully informed of your rights under the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988 and the Access to Personal Files and Medical Reports Order 1991 by the occupational health professional.

Please note that, should you decide not to give consent to attend such an assessment or examination, and the subsequent provision of a report to the central University, we would have no alternative but to make any decision relating to your employment in the absence of any relevant medical information.

To top

14 Termination of Employment on Grounds of Capability

If the central University decides that it is necessary to terminate your employment on grounds of capability due to your long term illness, the following steps will generally apply:

  • You will be informed in writing of the issue to be discussed;
  • You will be invited to a meeting to discuss the issue (and be allowed to be accompanied by a fellow central University worker or trade union representative);
  • You will be informed of the outcome of the meeting in writing; and
  • You will have the right to appeal.

To top

15 Ill-Health Retirement

If, at any time during an extended period of sick leave, it can be established that your condition is such that there is no prospect of you returning to work, it would be appropriate to put you on notice before the end of the period of paid sick leave.

Under such circumstances, if you are a member of the SAUL or USS pension scheme, the possibility of ill-health retirement will be investigated. Where ill-health retirement is considered the most appropriate course of action, this option normally would be pursued so that such retirement can start as soon as practicable.  For further information on ill-health retirement please contact the Pensions and HR Manager and/or Deputy Pensions Manager.

To top