Freda Becker

Since 2003, the Freda Becker fund has been combined with the Goldberg-Schachmann Memorial Fund to provide funding grants to undergraduate medical students at the four medical schools within the federal University of London (King’s College London, Queen Mary, St. George’s and University College London).

Chadburn Lectureships

When the South London Hospital for Women was founded early in the 20th century a trust was set up to purchase the site for the hospital.  This trust provided that, if the site was not used for the Hospital for a year, the property should revert to the University to support women professors in medical subjects and to teach female medical students.  The Hospital was closed in the 1990s and with the money it received from the sale the University established the Chadburn Lectureships.

Chadburn Lectureships are tenable at any of the four University of London colleges which have medical schools (King’s, QMUL, St. Georges and UCL).  They are not restricted solely to women as was originally intended because of changes to equality laws.  The Lectureships are in Medicine and are part-time for a period of up to five-years, for those who are unable to make a full-time commitment due to personal circumstance.

Each medical school is responsible for recruiting its own Chadburn Lecturers.

Chair of Child Health

The Chair of Child Health was established following a donation from the Nuffield Foundation in 1944.  The Foundation made the donation on the condition that the University establish an Institute of Child Health and that the Chair of Child Health be attached to the new Institute.  The Institute of Child Health was established in 1946 and is located on Guilford Street next to Great Ormond Street Hospital.  In 2006 the Institute became part of UCL’s Faculty of Biomedical Sciences and is now named UCL Institute of Child Health.  The Institute, in partnership with Great Ormond Street Hospital, is the largest centre in Europe devoted to clinical and basic research and postgraduate teaching in children’s health.

Heath Clark Lectureships

The Heath Clark Lectureship was established in 1930 and is for the purpose of funding a lectureship on “the history and progress of preventative medicine and tropical hygiene.”  Income from the fund is allocated to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine each year.

Basil Davies Bequest

The Basil Davies Bequest was left to the University in 1997 for the purpose of funding medical research into epileptic seizures.

The Trust Fund is eligible for use at any of the University of London’s colleges with medical schools: King’s College London, Queen Mary, St. Georges and University College London.

Dietetics Chair

The Dietetics Chair fund was created in 1927 following an anonymous donation to the University.  The Chair was to be placed at whichever University of London College was most suitable and from 1956 the Chair was disestablished and instead paid to Queen Elizabeth College as a contribution towards a Chair of Nutrition and Dietetics.
 
Queen Elizabeth College has since been incorporated in King’s College London, which still has a specialisation in nutrition and where the trust fund still given to support this area of medical research.

Geoffrey E. Duveen Fund

The Dietetics Chair fund was created in 1927 following an anonymous donation to the University.  The Chair was to be placed at whichever University of London College was most suitable and from 1956 the Chair was disestablished and instead paid to Queen Elizabeth College as a contribution towards a Chair of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The trust is used to fund the Duveen Fellowships at the UCL Institute of the Ear.

 

Frost Chair

In 1990 the Frost Trust made a generous donation to the University, for the purposes of establishing an academic Chair in Ophthalmology.  The Frost Chair has been based at both King’s College and University College during its history, and the trust fund has also funded other research into Ophthalmology.

The current Frost Chair in Ophthalmology is Professor Christopher Hammond, at King’s College London. The Fund has also supported the establishment of the Frost Lectureship at King’s.

Goldberg-Schachmann Memorial Fund

In 1991 the University received a substantial benefaction under the will of Dr Hilda Schachmann for the purpose of supporting students engaged in medical research at the University.  Originally the University funded twelve scholarships for students BSc students.  Due to the reorganisation of the University, this was revised.

Since 2003, the Freda Becker fund has been combined with the Goldberg-Schachmann Memorial Fund to provide research funding to undergraduate medical students at the four medical schools within the federal University of London (King’s College London, Queen Mary, St. George’s and University College London).  The Colleges are responsible for the awarding of funding to their own students.

Maplethorpe Fellowships in Pharmacy

The Maplethorpe Fellowships in Pharmacy were founded in 1985 as a result of a bequest from the late Mrs M.B. Maplethorpe in memory of her husband.  The funds were to establish C. W. Maplethorpe Postdoctoral Fellowships in Pharmacy, for the promotion of pharmaceutical education or research at the former Chelsea College (now part of King's College) and the School of Pharmacy (now part of UCL).

The Maplethorpe Fellowships in Pharmacy continue to be hosted by King’s College and UCL; the awards are overseen by the Maplethorpe Committee.

John Marshall Fellowship

The John Marshall Fellowship was endowed in 1937 under the will of Mr Marshall, to be tenable at University College Hospital Medical School.  The Fellowship is for the engagement in training and research for the advancement of surgery, including surgical pathology, as is considered appropriate by the Professor of Surgery at UCL.

Province of Natal Gift Fund

In 1948 the Province of Natal (part of South Africa) decided to make a commemorative gift to the UK, which took the form of the Natal Province Centre for child care at the Institute of Child Health. The Fund was given to help maintain the building on Guildford Street.

The Institute of Child Health is now part of University College London and the Natal Fund is support the Institute’s core activities, such as research into: Cancer, Cardiorespiratory Sciences, General and Adolescent Paediatrics, Genes, Development and Disease, Infection and Immunity, Neurosciences and Mental Health, Nutritional and Surgical Sciences and Population Health Sciences.

Chair in Paediatric Surgery

In 1957 the Nuffield Foundation made a further donation to the University (see Chair of Child Health) to celebrate Lord Nuffield’s 80th birthday.  The donation was made to establish an academic Chair at the Institute of Child Health and so a Chair in Paediatric Surgery was created.

The Trust Fund continues to support the UCL Institute of Child Health.


Sembal Chair in Experimental Ophthalmology

In 1963 the Sembal Trust gave the University an endowment for a Chair within the British Postgraduate Medical Federation.  The annual income now passes to University College for the benefit of the Institute of Ophthalmology.

Semon Lecture

The University accepted an endowment from Sir Felix Semon in 1911 for the Semon Lecture.  The fund’s annual income was to meet the cost of providing a commemorative bronze medal and in payment of an honorarium or salary to a Lecturer to be called, which was named ‘The Semon Lecturer in Laryngology’.  The lecture could be held at any institution within the University.

The Semon Lecture is currently held at UCL’s Ear Institute.

Isaac Shapera Research Trust

The Isaac Shapera Research Trust was established in 2005, following the death of, and to commemorate, Professor Isaac Shapera.  Professor Shapera’s will left the bequest to be used at the University’s discretion to contribute to the cost of research at the University’s Medical Schools.

The fund’s annual income is divided amongst all four of the Medical Schools (King’s, Queen Mary, St. George’s and UCL) to provide support to undergraduate medical students during their research year.

Wellcome Chair in Pharmacology

In 1946 the Wellcome Trust provided an endowment for the stipend of an academic Chair to be based at the School of Pharmacy, in particular for the advancement of research work.  The gift was given with the condition that no part of the funds was to be applied for the mere reduction of the provision made by the Pharmaceutical Society for the Department of Pharmacology.

The annual income from this trust fund is still given to the School of Pharmacy which is now part of UCL.

Wellcome Chair in Tropical Medicine

In 1945 the Wellcome Trust provided funds initially to support a part-time chair in Tropical Medicine at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.  The Wellcome Trust provided further funds to the University around 1950 to make the chair full-time.
 
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine still receives the yearly income from the Wellcome Chair in Tropical Medicine fund.

Thomas Brown Animal Institution Trust

In 1852 Thomas Brown left the University £20,000 for the purposes of creating an institution for “investigating, studying and, without charge, endeavouring to cure maladies, distempers and injuries any quadrupeds or birds useful to man may be found subject to.”  The Institution was opened in 1871 and continued to operate until it was closed at the outbreak of the Second World War.  A High Court scheme was approved in 1970, under which the trust was invested to produce an income to support a research fellowship at the Royal Veterinary College in Veterinary Medicine, Surgery or Pathology, or Animal Reproduction.  The University was given the power to alter the regulations of the trust fund.

The Thomas Brown Animal Trust is currently supporting five PhD studentships at the Royal Veterinary College.

For Trust Fund enquiries and applications:


Email:
 
Trustfunds@london.ac.uk 


Postal Address:

Legal Services
University of London
Senate House
Malet Street
London
WC1E 7HU