Statutes and Ordinances
The University is changing its Statutes and Ordinances. In the meantime, please note the following which apply to the Ordinances and Regulations on the website: where reference is made to the Nominations Committee, this is now the Nominations and Governance Committee; where reference is made to the Director of Compliance and Secretary to the Board, this is now the University Secretary. Should you have any questions about particular Ordinances or Regulations, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statutes - Currently Under Review
The Statutes set out the objects and powers of the University, and define the Statutory Officers, the Board of Trustees and the Collegiate Council. The Statutes may only be amended in accordance with the University of London Act 2018. Any changes to the Statutes require the approval of the Privy Council.
Ordinances - Currently Under Review
The Ordinances set out, in detail, the rules for the conduct of the university's business. Ordinances can be created or amended by the Board of Trustees.
Please see the update above about the recent governance review and consequential ongoing amendment of the Ordinances and Regulations.
- Function of the Board of Trustees (ordinance 1) [ PDF]
- Appointments to the Board of Trustees (ordinance 2) [PDF]
- Board of Trustees Procedures (ordinance 3) [PDF]
- Functions of the Collegiate Council (ordinance 4) [PDF]
- Collegiate Council Procedures (ordinance 5) [PDF]
- Delegation of Functions (ordinance 6) [PDF]
Annex 1 Terms of Reference for Committees established by the Board of Trustees or the Collegiate Council.
Annex 2 Standing Functions Delegated by the Board of Trustees or Collegiate Council to University Staff.
- Students (ordinance 14) [PDF]
- Termination of Registration on Academic Grounds (ordinance 15) [PDF]
- Fitness to Study (ordinance 16) [PDF]
- Code of Student Discipline (ordinance 17) [PDF]
Annex 1 Policy in Respect of Offences that are also Criminal Offences.
Annex 2 Suspension and Exclusion of Students Pending a Hearing.
Annex 3 Rules Governing Posters, Notices, Temporary Signs, the Distribution of Literature and Communications.
Please note Ordinance 19 has been replaced by the University of London Complaints and Appeals Policy.
The University of London’s Student Complaints and Appeals procedures can be found here: University of London’s Student Complaints and Appeals procedures.
You can find information about reporting and managing harassment, discrimination and bullying of students by downloading:
- Annex 1 Constitution of Panels – School of Advanced Study
- Annex 2 Constitution of Panels – University of London International Academy
- Equality Policy (ordinance 21) [PDF]
- Risk Management Policy (ordinance 22) [PDF]
- Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblowing) [PDF]
- Code of Practice on Meetings or Other Activities on University Premises (ordinance 24) [PDF]
Annex 1 Procedures on Meetings or Other Activities on University Premises
Annex 2 Extract from the Education (No. 2) Act 1986