Borrowing and renewing books
The number of books you can borrow at any one time will depend on your borrowing allowance.
If an item doesn’t scan, it might be because it’s:
- for “Reference use only” within the Library
- you might have reached your loan limit
- or you may have a fine on your account
Checking your loans receipt will ensure your books have been correctly checked out. The receipt also shows when each item is due back. If you experience any issues, staff at the Service Desk will be happy to help.
Most books have a four week loan period. Some of our more popular ones have one or two week loans. Reference items, journals, theses and books over 100 years old are ‘Reference only’, for use in the Library
You can also borrow books via our Postal Loans service.
Books are automatically renewed five times, unless the book has been requested by another reader. The automatic extension of the loan will be for two or four weeks each time (depending on the loan period of the specific item). This ensures that readers are not penalised for forgetting to renew items that are not in demand by other readers.
You can place a reservation via the Library Catalogue by clicking the 'request' button next to the item listing.
You will be asked to return the item by its next due date. You will be fined on the recalled item if you cannot return it by then, and you will need to get in touch with us to renew any other items you have out.
You will not be fined as we have now abolished all fines except on recalled and lost items, but you should get in touch with us so we can confirm you still have your books and re-issue them, in order to restart the auto-renewals process.
Yes. Even though your books are renewed automatically, please keep checking the courtesy emails to ensure that no one else has requested your items. (The notices are a courtesy - you are still responsible for loaned items.)
Yes. There is a three-day grace period, after which you will need to keep renewing your books as usual.
Yes. Providing that the item has not been requested by another reader and that your Library membership is valid beyond the return date of the book.
You can do this online:
- By logging in to your Library record, you will need your membership number to do this. Please check that all your books have been renewed successfully and do please take note of the return date. Note: If you have previously book-marked the login page please be aware it has been moved as part of a recent upgrade to the library management system. You should replace the URL in the old bookmark with this one: http://catalogue.libraries.london.ac.uk/patroninfo
- By telephone during staffed hours on 020 7862 8500. (You don’t need your membership number to do this).
In person at the Service Desk on the 4th floor.
- Using a self-issue machine on the 4th floor. When renewing your books, please check to make sure all items have been renewed successfully. Your receipt will give your new due date(s) and indicate if the renewals have been successful.
- Another reader has requested it.
- You have another overdue book on your account that has been recalled for use by another reader.
- Your membership card has expired.
If your card has expired, but you are continuing your course, please visit the Membership Desk with the correct ID and staff will be able to renew your books.
If you have any problems renewing items, please visit the Service Desk, or telephone the library on 020 7862 8500, during staffed hours (you don’t need your membership card with you to do this).