Databases and eResources
How to access, use, and make the most of our eResource collection.
How do you access eResources?
There is an A-Z list on our LibGuides platform. Click on the relevant link listed on LibGuides and you will be asked to login to the Library Catalogue (if you have not already done so) to authenticate your Library membership.
A dedicated Online Library is available for University of London International Programmes students, faculty and staff. It is structured to support individual study courses.
In general, eResources are available to all SHL members onsite at SHL, with off-site access limited to University of London staff and students only. For specific resource access please check access statements in the catalogue and eResource A-Z on our LibGuides platform.
Access to eResources is permitted and restricted based on licence agreements with publishers and providers. In a very limited number of cases access permissions will change when agreements are renewed.
|User type||On-site access||Off-site access with SHL library card|
|School of Advanced Study||Yes||Yes|
|University of London Worldwide||Yes||Yes - primary access through Online Library|
|University of London federal institution||Yes||Yes - some resources restricted to on-site access|
|University of London alumni||Yes||Yes - see list of alumni eResources|
|Other Senate House Library members||Yes||No|
You can access all our eResources when you are inside the physical Library using the terminals in the 4th floor Service Hall, or when you are connected to the wifi network UoL Libraries.
If you connect to the internet via another wifi network (Eduroam, UOL Conference, etc) the system will treat you as being outside of the physical Library.
Eresource access, outside of the physical Library, is usually included with University of London student, faculty and staff Library memberships.
If you have eResource access as part of your membership you will need to access the eResource via the Library Catalogue (to authenticate you as a valid Senate House Library user). If you are not already logged into the Catalogue you will be asked to do so before being redirected to the eResource.
Conditions of use
Licence terms vary, but all users must ensure that their own use complies with the following conditions:
- Personal, educational and non-commercial use of materials
- Printing or downloading a personal copy in compliance with UK Copyright Law
- Share, distribute, or provide to other individuals:
- Senate House Library authorised user credentials;
- electronic or physical copies of electronic content, via hosting services on the internet, or other networks;
- Systematically print or download electronic content, either manually or using automated systems;
- Alter, adapt or remove copyright notices, acknowledgements, or other identifying features of electronic content;
- Sell, resell, or use any electronic content for commercial purposes.