Rent a private study carrel
- Your own private study room in a 4th floor reading room with minimal distraction.
- A lockable door, desk and storage space.
- Internet connectivity (via WiFi or network cable).
‘Rental price’ is £17.50 per week during termtime and £15 per week during vacation.
University of London academic staff and research students will be entitled to book up to 6 months at a time, while all other readers can only book one week at a time from the preceding Thursday. Any bookings for which the reader is deemed to be ineligible may be cancelled and refunded.
- All bookings are placed via the University of London Online Shop.
- Each available week shows as a separate product in the Online Shop. Please add one carrel to your basket from each of the weeks you require. If all carrels have been sold for a given week, when you add the carrel to your basket, the display will indicate “out of stock”.
- You will receive an email confirming your booking.
- On the first day of the period you have booked, show the email to staff on the 4th floor Service Desk during staffed hours. You will be issued a key to a carrel from one of our three 4th floor reading rooms, either the Goldsmiths Library, the Middlesex South reading room or the Middlesex North reading room, for the duration of your booking.
- The due date of your carrel key on your Library record will be updated within 24 hours – although this may take longer if you renew on a Friday or Saturday or during a period that the library is closed. We advise academic staff and research students to renew in plenty of time. All renewals are placed via the University of London Online Shop.
- The carrel that you currently occupy will be the carrel that is renewed for you, so there is no need to return the key.
Please read this before booking a carrel
Carrel users not in possession of their key will not be able to access the carrel. Lost carrel keys will incur a £20 non-refundable fine. Carrel users will not be able to access the carrel while a replacement key is being cut.
In keeping with the Senate House Library food and drink policy, food is not allowed in the carrels. Hot or cold drinks can be brought in as long as they are in closed containers.
During the occupancy of the carrel, the occupant is expected to keep the carrel reasonably neat and tidy and leave it clean, tidy and empty of personal possessions and any litter at the end of occupancy. Any waste should be placed in the recycling bins located at the entrance of each reading room. Carrels will be routinely cleaned once every month. If you notice a problem with your carrel, please report any cleaning issues to the 4th floor Service Desk.
Please collect your carrel key from the Service Desk during staffed hours. If you are returning a carrel key during our unstaffed/self-service hours please place it in the small black box on the security desk next to the exit gates.
Once a year, during the summer vacation period, all carrels will be deep cleaned during operating hours and access will be restricted for a short time.
For support and information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inside a carrel
Inside a carrel