The following awards satisfy our English language requirements for all undergraduate courses.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- Cambridge English Language 1119 conducted by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (grade 6).
- Hong Kong Examination Authority Advanced level Use of English (grade C).
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education English Language, Syllabus B (grade C).
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) English Language section from 2007 (level 3).
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE): English Language (level 3).
- International General Certificate of Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language (grade B).
Awards issued by the following authorities are accepted for all undergraduate courses, provided they have been awarded within the past three years:
- Hong Kong, an associate degree, higher diploma or degree awarded by an acceptable university.
- Hong Kong Examinations Authority AS 'Use of English' (grade E).
- National Research University Higher School of Economics, Russia: successful completion of the course English Language, with CEFR B2 attainment
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language (grade C).
- Malaysia, an accredited foundation programme, diploma or degree awarded by an acceptable institute.
- Malaysia, HELP Foundation programme: Advanced English module (accepted for degrees led by LSE and the International Foundation Programme).
- Malaysian Certificate of Education / Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia: English Language (122 or 322) grade C (6).
- Singapore Institute of Management, Diploma.
- Singapore Polytechnic: a diploma awarded by an acceptable polytechnic in Singapore.
The following proficiency tests are accepted for all undergraduate courses, provided they have been awarded within the past three years:
- APTIS: must achieve an overall CEFR score of at least B2 equivalent with at least B2 equivalent in each sub category.
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.
- City & Guilds International ESOL 8984 Mastery award.
- Duolingo: must achieve an overall score of at least 105.
- (IELTS) International English Language Testing System: 6 overall, with 5.5 in each sub-test (Academic or General or IELTS Indicator Online Test).
- Password English Language Test: 6 overall, with 5.5 in each sub-test.
- Pearson Test of English, Academic: 54 overall, with 54 in Reading and Writing elements.
- University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) Business English Certificate, Level 3 only (BEC 3 award).
- (TOEFL) iBT Test of English as a Foreign Language (including Special Home Edition test): 87 overall, with 21+ in Reading and Writing sub-tests and 19+ in Speaking and Listening sub-tests.
The language requirements for our Postgraduate Courses differ by course. Please see our Course pages (under “Entry Requirements”) for more details.