This module aims to extend students’ appreciation of digital aspects of marketing, by examining how digital and social media technologies have impacted marketing theory and practice.
Main topics of the module include:
- Introduction to digital marketing
- Online word-of-mouth and viral marketing
- Community marketing
- Experiential marketing in digital environments
- The digital marketing mix
- Search marketing
- Digital advertising
- Email marketing
- Digital and social media measurement and analytics
On successful completion of this module, you will be expected to be able to:
- understand the role of digital and social media marketing in the marketing management function
- understand how digital and social media marketing can contribute to improving marketing effectiveness taking into account the triple bottom line
- evaluate digital and social media marketing campaigns;
- think about solutions to complex marketing problems using insight from digital and social media marketing
- think critically and creatively in identifying and evaluating alternative digital and social media marketing initiatives
- undertake research into a digital and social media related problem and apply relevant skills in assembling and analysing the data collected.
Coursework (30% weighting) - A written reflective essay of a maximum of 2,000 words.
Examination (70% weighting) - An unseen written examination of 2-hour duration.