The first part to the module is directed at exploring career development, examining influences on employment, employability, career choice and career development. Key trends in employee management in a range of workplaces are also examined with the overall aim being to engender confidence and awareness of the challenges associated with career development in the contemporary workplace.
The second part to the module examines the significance of human resource management (HRM) in organisations. The objective is to give you an understanding of the main concepts and models that underpin HRM, as well as a critical assessment of the relationship between theory and practice in HRM in contemporary workplaces.
Main topics of the module include:
- Career development and the work environment
- Employability and the recruitment process in a global context
- Influences on employment, employability, career choice and career development
- Trends in employee management in a range of contexts
- Rationale for HRM policies and practices
- Impact of HRM policies and practices on employees
- Multiple choice question tests (30%)
- Online examination (70%)