Research project in Livestock Health and Production
The objective of this module is to enable the students to conduct a research project and prepare a scientific paper for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
Pre-requisites / co-requisites
You are strongly encouraged to study Research design, management and grant application writing [LVM014] prior to undertaking the Research project [LVM200]. The Research project [LVM200] is only available to MSc students and not as a 240 hour Individual module.
Students are given guidance and supervision from a distance in the following:
- Deriving a suitable hypothesis to base the research project
- Writing a critical literature review
- Designing the appropriate study with experimental and statistical details
- Costing the project and conducting experiments
- Managing the project to obtain relevant data
- Documenting and analysis of results to achieve a conclusion
- Selecting an appropriate scientific journal to publish the findings
- Preparing a paper for publication according to author guidelines of the selected journal.
The Research project (MSc degree only) is assessed by the production of a paper suitable for publication in an identified scientific journal (80%) and an oral examination (20%).
The research proposal will not form part of the final assessment. However, if you do not submit a research proposal we will not allow you to carry out the Research project.