On the day
What is the closest station to the Barbican?
By Tube: There are a number of London Underground and Elizabeth Line stations that are close to the Barbican:
- Barbican - Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle lines (4 min walk)
- Moorgate - Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle lines (7 min walk)
- Farringdon - Elizabeth line (8 min walk)
- St Paul's - Central line (11 min walk)
By London Overground. The nearest train stations are Liverpool Street and Farringdon:
- Liverpool Street (11 min walk)
- Farringdon (8 min walk)
- Bus Route 153 runs directly past the Barbican along Chiswell Street - Alight at 'Silk Street'
- The Barbican is also close to Bus Routes 4 and 56 which serve Barbican tube station
See Transport for London for public transport information and to plan your journey to the Barbican.
We would strongly recommend all graduates and their guests use public transport if possible to attend the ceremonies. Whilst paid parking at the Barbican is available, spaces are extremely limited and must be booked in advance. Further information can be found on the Barbican website.
You are welcome to bring baby prams into the Barbican, however due to space restrictions, they will not be permitted inside the ceremony room. There will be a signposted dedicated space outside the room for you to leave any prams or car seats.
You are welcome to bring baby prams into the Barbican, and we will do all we can to accommodate you and your baby on the day. However due to space restrictions prams will not be permitted inside the ceremony room. There will be a signposted dedicated space outside the room for you to leave any prams or car seats. Please note: Graduates will be seated near the front of the venue as they will be invited on stage as part of the ceremony. If you have a baby or small child with you, they will need to be accompanied by another adult to look after them while you take part in the ceremony.
Please ensure you bring your tickets with your unique QR code (which will be emailed to you prior to the ceremony), and two forms of ID (i.e. Passport, driving licence, bank card etc.).
Upon arrival, you must register at the sign-posted Registration Desks. Here, you will be checked-in and, if purchased, given your physical guest ticket(s) which will have their seat number(s) on them.
Please ensure you keep these guest tickets safe, as you will need them in order to access the ceremony room and we are unable to re-issue them once collected.
Gown Collection & Photographs
Staff will be on hand to guide you to gowning and photography. We encourage all attendees to arrive at least 90 minutes before the ceremony starts, so that you can collect your gown and have your photos before taking your seats.
On-the-day photography will be available to purchase, if you have not yet pre-purchased them. Please note that we are unable to take cash payments on the day. Any purchases must be done via credit or debit card.
No flash photography or video recording is allowed inside the hall. We are recording and live streaming the ceremonies and official photographs will be available to purchase.
Timing & Seating
Guests are seated in the stalls and circle level of the Barbican Hall, separate to graduates. Guests will be issued with tickets for Barbican Hall at the registration desk and must sit in the seat number on their ticket.
Any children attending must be accompanied by an adult who is not graduating as there are no childcare facilities available.
Guests are not required to be smartly dressed. However, as it is a formal event most guests do prefer to be appropriately dressed for the occasion (e.g. collar and tie).
Registration closes 45 minutes before the ceremony starts. This is to ensure that we can manage the event effectively with those who are in attendance.
Whilst we will endeavour to accommodate late arrivals, due to the nature of the event, this may not always be possible. For this reason, we encourage all attendees to arrive at least 90 minutes before the ceremony, so that you can register, collect your gowns and have any photographs taken before the ceremony starts.
If you are late for your ceremony, we will try to add you to the list for the next ceremony. If you are late for the final ceremony, then we will do all we can to help you walk across the stage.
During the Ceremony
Programmes will be available for you to collect before entering the ceremony room. If you cannot find the programmes, please ask a member of staff who can point you in the right direction.
Don’t worry! There will be a live demonstration before the ceremony starts to show you what to do as you cross the stage.
Yes. There will be a live stream of each ceremony for those that wish to follow the day from afar, and a link will be available on this webpage for a few days before the event. This can be sent to family and friends so they can watch even if they can’t attend on the day.
If you feel unwell before your ceremony, please do not attend and seek medical advice If you start to feel unwell during the ceremony, please let a member of University staff know – we will be obvious within the hall and throughout the venue.
If you do need to leave the theatre you will still be able to watch a live stream. There will be hall stewards in the room to provide assistance throughout the ceremony.
No flash photography or video recording is permitted inside the hall. We are recording and live streaming the ceremonies and official photographs will be available to purchase.
After the Ceremony
Yes, we will be hosting a short post-ceremony drinks reception after each ceremony within the Barbican. Ushers will be on hand to guide you to the reception area.
Alumni Evening Celebration
All graduates attending ceremonies in April 2024 are also invited to a special Alumni Celebration Evening on Monday 29 April 2024, taking place at the University of London’s headquarters, Senate House, from 6:30pm.
This event will be a wonderful opportunity for you to celebrate your achievements with family and friends, meet University of London senior staff and academics, and network with fellow graduates.
Tickets for graduates are £50 and guest tickets are £55 each.
Due to space restrictions, tickets are limited and restricted to two guest tickets per graduate. We encourage you to book as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Your ticket includes an evening reception, photo opportunities, as well as drinks and delicious food prepared by our expert chefs. Please note that the event is not a sit-down dinner.
You can book your tickets for the Alumni Celebration Evening as part of the graduation booking process.
Children may attend the event if they are accompanied by an adult; however, please note that there will be no child-orientated activities on offer. We do not offer any childcare facilities, nor can the University take any responsibility for children. Children under 10 years of age can attend free of charge.
Cancellation and refund policy
Please read our terms and conditions:
University of London International Academy Graduation 2024 Ceremony Terms and Conditions
In these Terms and Conditions, a Graduate refers to a Graduate who has met all the eligibility criteria for graduation and has been invited to attend a University of London Graduation Ceremony. Please note that attending a Graduation Ceremony is not a requirement for the award of the Graduate’s degree.
It is the responsibility of the Graduate to read and understand the Terms and Conditions below and to contact email@example.com if they have any queries.
By making an online booking to attend the 2024 University of London Graduation Ceremonies the Graduate agrees to the following:
- Tickets for the Graduation Ceremonies will only be issued to Graduates which the University of London has deemed eligible to graduate.
- Graduates are required to pay for all pre-booked tickets that incur a cost, at least four weeks in advance of the Graduation Ceremony.
- The Graduate alone will be sent all tickets to the email address linked to the booking. It is the Graduate’s responsibility to inform the graduation team if they change their email address.
- Graduates must arrive at the Barbican in sufficient time to register, change into academic dress, have professional photographs taken if required, and be seated before the start of the Graduation Ceremony.
- All tickets purchased are non-transferable to another Graduation Ceremony or another individual.
Programme Fee Debts
Graduates should ensure that any outstanding Programme Fees owed to the University of London are settled prior to the Graduation Ceremony day, as a Graduate owing such fees is not permitted to attend the Graduation Ceremony.
- Academic dress is mandatory at University of London Graduation Ceremonies. This can be booked through our official supplier when booking tickets. A Graduate not wearing University of London academic dress will not be presented at the Graduation Ceremony.
- Graduates agree to wear University of London academic dress and smart national dress or other formal clothing under their gown. Graduates acknowledge that this excludes jeans and trainers.
- Graduates wishing to attend a Graduation Ceremony should hire their academic dress no later than 28 days before the Graduation Ceremony from the University of London’s official supplier.
Filming and Photography
The Graduate acknowledges that the Graduation Ceremony will be webcast live by the University of
London and that formal and/or informal University of London photographs will be taken. The Graduate grants permission for the University of London to webcast from, and use such footage and photographs from the Graduation Ceremony in publications in the future, unless the Graduate informs the University of London otherwise at the time of online booking by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Graduate agrees to inform the University of London in writing of any accessible seating requirements for guests and Graduates at the time of online booking to allow for appropriate seating allocation.
Right to Refuse Admission
- The University of London reserves the right to refuse admission to the Graduation Ceremony.
- The University of London reserves the right to ask any person to leave if they are being disruptive to the Graduation Ceremony or fellow guests.
The University of London does not accept responsibility for bookings, and cannot make any refunds in relation to bookings, made with external suppliers, including for photography or for gown hire .
The University of London is not responsible for any travel or accommodation costs in connection with the Graduation Ceremony. Graduates and guests are strongly recommended to have adequate insurance cover for the duration of their stay in Great Britain.
If the Graduation Ceremony is altered, delayed or cancelled due to circumstances beyond the University of London’s reasonable control, the University of London shall not be responsible for any losses incurred by Graduates or their guests.
- Requests for the refund of any ticket(s) must be made no later than Tuesday 28 March 2024. The last date for the purchase of a ticket shall be the date of the Graduation Ceremony, subject to availability.
- Where an application for a refund is made after Tuesday 28 March 2024, any such refund will be made at the University of London’s sole discretion. Supporting evidence will be required where applicable.
- All applications for ticket refunds must be made in writing to email@example.com with the below information clearly stated:
- Your Full Name
- Your email address
- Student Number
- Order Number
- Do you wish to cancel your graduate ticket?
- Are you cancelling any adult guest tickets? If yes, how many?
- Are you cancelling any Alumni Evening Celebration tickets? If yes, how many?
- Attach a copy of your booking confirmation email
If you book for the Alumni Celebration Evening, and do not tell us in advance that you are unable to attend, the University will convert your registration payment to a donation towards the University’s Student Support fund. If you have any questions, please contact the Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These Terms and Conditions and any matters arising from them are governed by English law, and the Graduate and the University of London agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any dispute or claim arising out of them.
Failure to comply with any of the above Terms and Conditions may result in the Graduate losing their place at the Graduation Ceremony.
Graduates will be asked to accept the Terms and Conditions in order to purchase tickets by way of an online booking.