London International Documentary Festival
After a successful collaboration between the Paris Centre for Migrant Writing and Expression(Opens in new window) and the London International Documentary Festival(Opens in new window) (LIDF) on a screening of Sue Clayton's Calais Children: A Case to Answer(Opens in new window) in Autumn 2017, we are teaming up again Spring 2018 for the screening of a series of provocative documentaries and discussions on a wide range of subjects.
A Conversation in Film
The London International Documentary Festival(Opens in new window) (LIDF) is London’s oldest and largest documentary festival and offers an unprecedented all year-round snapshot of the contemporary world. The festival adopts a questioning, critical attitude to the cultural, social and political issues of the day, engaging with filmmakers, their subjects, and our audience to create a highly distinct environment for cultural interaction. The LIDF arose from a commitment to what it called, and continues to call, ‘Conversations in Film’. These conversations go beyond the films themselves. The intention is to throw light not only on the film process, but also on the role of documentarians as essayist, polemicist, poet, agitator, and knowledge producer. Audiences are actively encouraged to take part in these discussions and contribute directly to the debates.
It is hoped that these screenings will engage students, staff, and wider audiences alike. All films have been carefully selected by Patrick Hazard, LIDF Director, and ULIP's Director of Research, Anna-Louise Milne, and touch on themes of migration, persona, art, and French history. Screenings are followed by discussion with film producers, directors, and leads, making for a fascinating evening.
Booking is advised: to reserve your place, please use the links below to view the details of the individual films and purchase your tickets.
Tickets for each event are 5€ (season ticket for all five events 20€).
- Portrait of a Young Woman(Opens in new window) - Stephane Arnoux | 2016 | France | 80 | French w/ English sub-titles - Tuesday 6 February 2018, 18:00. Followed by Q&A with director, Stephane Arnoux, and lead, Marion Roussey
- Highway Rest Stop(Opens in new window) - Isabelle Ingold | 2017 | France | 55 | French w/ English sub-titles - Wednesday 14 February 2018, 18:00.Followed by a Q&A with director, Isabelle Ingold
- Serge Klarsfeld's Fight(Opens in new window) - Gloria Campana | 1995 | France | 60 | French w/ English sub-titles - Thursday 8 March 2018, 18:00. Followed by a Q&A with the producer, Emil Weiss (tbc)
- "Who’s Afraid of Julia Kristeva?"(Opens in new window) - Iskra Angelova | 2017 | Bulgaria | 83 | French w/ English sub-titles - Wednesday 21 March 2018, 18:00. Followed by a Q&A with Julia Kristeva
- Callum Innes Exposed and Persona, Primary Structures(Opens in new window) - Mikel Belascoain & Miguel Goni Aguinaga | 2017 | Spain | 39 | Spanish w/ English sub-titles - Wednesday 28 March 2018, 18:00. Followed by a Q&A with Persona directors, Mikel Belascoain & Miguel Goni Aguinaga