Climate change, poor water management, large-scale agriculture and increasing demand all mean that the world’s water supply is increasingly under stress, and water scarcity is affecting more and more of the world’s population.
Our water aims are:
- To reduce the amount of energy we use (so less carbon emitted) if less hot water is used, and less water is pumped round buildings.
- To reduce the amount of waste water we produce and reduce water pollution.
- To make more clean water available for streams, rivers and lakes, allowing wildlife to thrive.
- To make more water available in water stressed areas of the UK, including the majority of the South East of England.
What we can do
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off the taps when brushing your teeth.
- Fill the kettle with only with the amount that you need.
- When doing the washing up, use a bowl instead of running the tap continuously.
- Only use the washing machine when you have a full load.
- Don’t flush things down the toilet that don’t belong there! This includes tampons, sanitary towels, wet wipes and cotton buds.
- Report any leaks you discover in university buildings.