The MOOC is aimed at people who are curious about the world of acting. On our ‘Discover Acting’ course, learners will be guided through some of the basics of actor training and explore how these can unlock the talent and potential within every individual. Discover Acting is perfect for anyone wanting to take the first step in understanding and practice the fundamentals of how to act. The course will also help to make learners more confident in how to make acting choices.
About this course
The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama (CSSD) offer a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, research degrees and short courses in acting, musical theatre, actor training, applied theatre, movement, voice, writing, producing and technical theatre crafts. The MOOC’s objective is to provide an open access taster to a wide audience, and offer learners the opportunity to work with CSSD staff and experience the techniques they practice.
The topics we cover include:
- Exploring the purpose and content of professional actor training programmes.
- Analysing the work of professional actors and the techniques they use.
- Thinking about what makes every actor unique and why this is important.
- The use of the imagination and how to engage playfully with it.
- How the imagination, mind and body are integrated by actors.
- How to select a monologue to work on.
- How to analyse and rehearse a monologue for the purposes of performance.
By completing this course you will be able to explain the need for….
- Identify and understand how actors create performances, using a range of analytic and practical techniques.
- How to apply a range of analytic and practical techniques that can be used to create performance