Consumer and buyer behaviour
This module is concerned with evidence from research and theory about issues relating to consumer/buyer behaviour, and its application to marketing management.
The module engages students with theories and frameworks of consumer/buyer behaviour, and their application in marketing practice. The module is evidence-based and entails activities aimed at enhancing students’ appreciation of how consumer and buyer behaviour theories can be applied in solving practical marketing problems and ultimately impact the well-being of consumers and societies at large.
Main topics of the module include:
- Introduction to the module and to latest trends in consumer/buyer behaviour
- Decision making theories and influences on individual and organizational buyers
- The theory of stationary markets and patterns of purchase
- The effects of advertising
- Word-of-mouth and social media communications
- Pricing tactics and price promotions
- Customer loyalty and loyalty programmes
- Brand knowledge, brand extensions and co-branding
- Consumer behaviour in a retail context
- Customer satisfaction, dissatisfaction and perceived quality
On successful completion of this module, you will be expected to be able to:
- Critically evaluate theories of consumer and buyer behaviour
- Describe the role of consumer and buyer research in the formulation of responsible marketing strategies
- Intelligently use frameworks, concepts and theories from consumer and buyer behaviour to inform marketing decisions that ultimately impact the well-being of consumers and societies at large
- Think critically and creatively in identifying influences on consumer and buyer behaviour
- Undertake research into a consumer/buyer behaviour-related problem and skilfully assemble and analyse the data collected
- Synthesize and use information and knowledge effectively to develop marketing recommendations that address consumer/buyer behaviour-related problems and are mindful of the triple bottom line.
Individual Podcast (30% weighting) - Each student will be required to prepare and upload a podcast of no more than 15 minutes discussing how an identified company of their choice has used their understanding of their target consumer or buyer in designing aspects of their marketing mix programme.
Individual Coursework (70% of weighting) - A 3000-word written report.