Caroline Yang Scholarship
The Caroline Yang Scholarship is now accepting applications. The successful applicant will be eligible for an award of £7,500 towards the cost of their programme fees. Applicants must be able to state how they will pay any outstanding fees not covered by the Caroline Yang Scholarship when applying. The percentage of what an applicant will need to pay towards their degree each year will be confirmed when they receive the scholarship offer.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- Be a new student
- Be applying to study an undergraduate degree programme
- Be able to demonstrate that without the scholarship you would not be able to undertake a University of London distance-learning programme.
- Be female and a resident of one the following countries - Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam and Malaysia.
Submit a programme application form online. Online applications are located on each programmes webpage. You can find your course using our course finder search.
When you have received an offer for your programme, download and complete the scholarship application form.
Upload your completed scholarship application form here: online form - Under Applications, select the Scholarships and Bursaries section to upload your form. Please ensure all parts of the application form are completed. Not doing so may result in your application not being considered.
The deadline for applications is 25th September 2023. Applications submitted later than this may not be considered for the scholarship. You should submit the scholarship application as soon as you have received your offer.
A decision will be made by 16th October 2023.
Duties of scholarship holders
Each year you will be required to take the minimum number of examinations permitted for your programme. You should refer to your programme regulations for further information on examinations.
As a scholarship holder, you are required to write a short report each year outlining the impact of your study and research, to be shared with the University of London Development Office. The Development Office is responsible for engaging with alumni (former students) and friends of the University to encourage support for scholarships.
You must also follow the standards expected of University of London students.
We reserve the right to withdraw your scholarship if you do not comply with these terms.
The following terms and conditions apply to the Caroline Yang Scholarship at the University of London.
- To be eligible for the Caroline Yang Scholarship, you will need to demonstrate within the application that without the scholarship you would not be able to undertake the programme.
- The Caroline Yang Scholarship is available for the University of London distance learning programmes only and the course undertaken must be a full degree.
- You will not be considered for the Caroline Yang Scholarship until you have received an offer for a qualifying University of London distance learning programme.
- You cannot be considered for the Caroline Yang Scholarship if you are a currently registered student.
- The Caroline Yang Scholarship will be applied against any fees payable to the University of London including (but not limited to) registration fees and examination entry fees. It does not cover any fees not payable to the University of London, such as teaching centre fees and study materials. These examples are non-exhaustive of the fees included within and excluded from the Caroline Yang Scholarship, and other fees not listed here may be included and excluded from the scholarship.
- The Caroline Yang Scholarship may be awarded in addition to other scholarships and funding, but it cannot be used in conjunction with any other University of London bursary or scholarships.
- The Caroline Yang Scholarship may be reviewed on an annual basis and cannot be transferred to another individual.
- Students awarded a Caroline Yang Scholarship but who subsequently withdraw from their course of studies will no longer be eligible for the Caroline Yang Scholarship.
- The Caroline Yang Scholarship will be valid for the maximum period of registration for your programme.
- The University reserves the right to terminate the Caroline Yang Scholarship if you are found to have omitted key information or have provided untrue, inaccurate, incomplete or fraudulent information on your application form or in any additional information provided to the University and used in the determination of the award of your Caroline Yang Scholarship.
- You agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the University of London. If you do not abide by these rules and regulations, or if you do not meet the requirements (including the academic requirements) to continue or complete the distance learning course, the University reserves the right to withdraw the Caroline Yang Scholarship with immediate effect.
- You undertake to use your best efforts to fulfil the academic requirements of the distance learning course on which you are registered.
- As part of the Caroline Yang Scholarship award, the University may ask you to participate in marketing related activities and/or events to promote and share your experiences of the Caroline Yang Scholarship. You are under no obligation to undertake any of these activities. Examples of typical activities and/or events may include participating in an interview, providing a profile for the University website. If you participate in such activities and/or events, you agree for the University to use any material resulting from such activities and/or events for the purposes of publicity material and/or for the education of other students, whether electronically or in print. You furthermore release and discharge the University and its agents, representatives and assignees from any and all claims and demands arising out of or in connection with the use of the publicity material, including without limitation any and all claims for invasion of privacy and defamation. Additionally, you agree that the copyright of any publicity material shall be wholly vested in the University and you hereby assign to the University any and all rights in the publicity material.
- Each year you will be asked to provide a report outlining the impact of your study and research – this is a requirement of being a scholarship recipient. This report will be shared with the University of London’s Development Office who will share the report (having removed all relevant contact details) with the Donor of the Caroline Yang scholarship. Failure to provide the report result in the withdrawing of your scholarship.
- By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you are giving the University the right to hold and process your personal data, including some sensitive personal data. The University will process this personal data (including any personal data provided as part of participation in a marketing related activity and/or event under clause 16) in accordance with the UK Data Protection legislation and the University’s Data Protection Policy. The University will only share data with third parties in accordance with its Data Protection Policy and the University will remain the data controller of the data. The Data Protection Policy is applicable from the time of accepting these Terms and Conditions.
- The University of London and any relevant Federation Institutions are separate legal entities. In accepting the Caroline Yang Scholarship you agree to the sharing of your personal data between the University and a Federation Institution (where relevant) for the purposes of the management of your Caroline Yang Scholarship.
- Each of the clauses of these Terms and Conditions operate separately. If a clause or any part of a clause is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed deleted, but that shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of these Terms and Conditions which shall remain in full force and effect.
- These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and the University in relation to the Caroline Yang Scholarship. All previous agreements, arrangements and understandings between you and the University relating to the Caroline Yang Scholarship, whether written or oral, shall have no legal effect unless expressly set out in these Terms and Conditions.
- If the University fails to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions, or if the University does not enforce its rights against you, or if the University delays in doing so, that will not mean that the University has waived its rights against you and that will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If the University waives a default by you of the Caroline Yang Scholarship, the University will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that it will automatically waive any later default by you.
- These are the Terms and Conditions between you and the University. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of the terms of these Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions, and any matters arising out of or in relation to these Terms and Conditions, are governed and construed in accordance with English law. The parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in relation to these Terms and Conditions