If English is not your first language, then we might require further evidence from you to confirm your proficiency.
All undergraduate courses
The following awards satisfy our English language requirements for all undergraduate courses.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- Cambridge English Language 1119 conducted by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (grade 6).
- Hong Kong Examination Authority Advanced level Use of English (grade C).
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education English Language, Syllabus B (grade C).
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) English Language section from 2007 (level 3).
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE): English Language (level 3).
- International General Certificate of Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language (grade B).
Awards issued by the following authorities are accepted for all undergraduate courses, provided they have been awarded within the past three years:
- Hong Kong, an associate degree, higher diploma or degree awarded by an acceptable university.
- Hong Kong Examinations Authority AS 'Use of English' (grade E).
- National Research University Higher School of Economics, Russia: successful completion of the course English Language, with CEFR B2 attainment
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE): English as a Second Language (grade C).
- Malaysia, an accredited foundation programme, diploma or degree awarded by an acceptable institute.
- Malaysia, HELP Foundation programme: Advanced English module (accepted for degrees led by LSE and the International Foundation Programme).
- Malaysian Certificate of Education / Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia: English Language (122 or 322) grade C (6).
- Singapore Institute of Management, Diploma.
- Singapore Polytechnic: a diploma awarded by an acceptable polytechnic in Singapore.
The following proficiency tests are accepted for all undergraduate courses, provided they have been awarded within the past three years:
- APTIS: must achieve an overall CEFR score of at least B2 equivalent with at least B2 equivalent in each sub category.
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.
- City & Guilds International ESOL 8984 Mastery award.
- Duolingo: must achieve an overall score of at least 105.
- (IELTS) International English Language Testing System: 6 overall, with 5.5 in each sub-test (Academic or General or IELTS Indicator Online Test).
- Password English Language Test: 6 overall, with 5.5 in each sub-test.
- Pearson Test of English, Academic: 54 overall, with 54 in Reading and Writing elements.
- University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) Business English Certificate, Level 3 only (BEC 3 award).
- (TOEFL) iBT Test of English as a Foreign Language (including Special Home Edition test): 87 overall, with 21+ in Reading and Writing sub-tests and 19+ in Speaking and Listening sub-tests.