Choosing a teaching centre

Our checklist will help you decide if a centre is right for you. It might also provide the right questions to ask when you make your enquiries.

University of London
Points and information to consider about Recognised Teaching Centres.

Institutions that enter into an agreement with the University are known as University of London Recognised Teaching Centres.

Some questions to ask:

  • Is the centre a recognised centre, or has it started the recognition process?
  • Is it registered with the relevant local authorities, such as the Ministry of Education?
  • How long has it been established? Check its website or printed brochures.
  • How long has it been providing support for University of London students? Has it got a 'track record' of successful results?
  • Can you talk to enrolled students and get their opinions? (Check out our teaching centre pages for testimonials.)


  • Does the timing and frequency of classes suit you?
  • What format do the classes take? Are there tutorials as well as lectures? What size are the tutorial groups?
  • Does the centre offer teaching and learning support for all levels of the degree? Is this support limited to a range of   units or modules?
  • Are the lecturers full-time or part-time?

Facilities / Services

  • Does the centre provide details of the specific services and facilities it offers?
  • How do its services and fees compare with other centres in your area?
  • Can you see the facilities, especially the library? Can you borrow books from the library, and/or does it have good electronic library resources?
  • If you already have your subject guides, does the centre hold copies of the essential and recommended texts? Is there room to study in the library, and is it quiet?

Contracts / Formalities

  • Is there a written contract between you and the centre when you enrol? (If not, make sure you understand the terms and conditions that apply and your liability.)
  • Do you pay fees in one payment or in instalments? What is the refund policy if you cease studying?
  • While we advise you not to enrol until you have an offer from us, we realise that you may be eager to start your studies before this. Is the centre able to charge you only for tuition you receive if we cannot accept you on the programme?

Contact a local alumni ambassador for advice about their experience.

Additional checks for online or correspondence centres

  • If based in the UK, is the centre accredited by the Open and Distance Learning Quality Council or a member of the Association of British Correspondence Colleges?
  • If it offers study materials as part of its tuition, do these offer more than our subject guides do?
  • If a tutor service is offered, what response time does the centre guarantee?
  • Can you send in your assignments by email and receive feedback the same way?
  • If you are not certain about a teaching centres status with us, contact our teaching centres team for more information. Further questions may be answered below.

Some Teaching Centres will still show the previous framework terminology (Candidate, Registered or Affiliate) for a short time, until all Centres have been regularised. 


Is it compulsory?

Do I have to take local tuition to complete my degree?

Our courses are designed to be studied independently, and you choose whether or not to receive further study support.

The only exceptions to this are the courses listed here.

What are the standards?

What standard of tuition can I expect to receive?

Our quality assurance framework is designed to ensure that teaching centres provide a high standard of support.

Most students are very pleased with the support they receive, though some can be disappointed. It is vital that you research a centre to make sure it meets your needs.

Please contact the centre directly if you have any questions about its services.

Is it a franchise?

Are Recognised Teaching Centres part of a franchising arrangement?

No. While we officially recognise centres that offer study support to distance-learning students of the University of London, these are not part of a franchise arrangement.

You choose whether or not to attend a teaching centre (except where teaching support is compulsory).

Local support unavailable.

What if local support is not available where I live?

You may wish to consider correspondence or online tutorial support. Check our course pages for any centres that offer online support for the course you are interested in.

Are the fees separate?

Are the fees separate?

Yes. Fees paid to us relate to admission, registration, course fees (i.e. study materials) and examinations.

If you choose to receive additional study support, you also pay a fee to the centre.

We have no involvement in the fees charged by a centre, nor any financial disputes that may arise between you. Any financial arrangement you make with a centre is entirely your own responsibility.

I have a complaint

I have a complaint about a centre, what should I do?

If you wish to make a complaint about a centre, please raise it with the centre first, as disagreements are often resolved quickly and amicably.

If you still wish to make a complaint, please refer to our student complaints policy.

Registering with the University

My local teaching centre says I must register with the University. How do I do this?

Enrolment at a teaching centre is separate from registration with the University of London.

Before you start your studies with a centre, check your eligibility for your chosen course and submit your online application.

See how to apply for more details.

Switching centres.

I wish to switch centres. Do I have to tell the University?

You do not need to tell us about the support you are getting. But this information can be useful and we are grateful if you keep us informed.

When you register for your course, please let us know which centre you are attending.

If this changes during the course of your studies, please use the 'change of details' form.

Visas for UK study?

Can I study with the University of London in the UK? How do I arrange a visa?

Since our distance-learning courses can be studied anywhere in the world, registration for these is insufficient for a visa and we are unable to assist you with visa matters.

If you wish to travel to the UK to study on-campus, you should contact the relevant university for advice.

What appears on my certificate?

Will the name of my teaching centre appear on my degree certificate?

Teaching centres do not appear on your University of London degree certificate.